Comments : 2 Comments »
Tags: Half Marathon, Madison, Madison Mini Marathon, race goals, Racing Buddy, running, Running Friends, Running Goals
Categories : races
Race day is in two days. The Madison Mini, a race that didn’t exist until I moved away from Madison. And now I finally get to run it. I have never run a half marathon in Madison. This seems to shock some people, but I wasn’t a distance runner when I lived there. For most of the summer I was thinking this would just be a fun long run through Madison, especially after I registered for Lakefront. But now we are two days away and we have the most perfect magical race weather forecast ever. Seriously, we are all giddy about it.
And we get this!
- Run another fun race with Sara
- Don’t Die
- Crazy over the top Goal: PR – I can’t even write what crazy number that is without causing myself anxiety.
- A Goal: 1:53:xx
- B Goal: Sub 1:55
- C Goal: Sub 2 hours
This is going to be a great weekend. I get to see lots of friends, meet twitter friends, and spend a weekend in one of my favorite cities.
Comments : 5 Comments »
Tags: Half Marathon, race calendar, running, Running Goals
Categories : friends, running
I have been giving this a lot of thought. Last year I didn’t give myself mileage goals or really amy time years. I wanted to stay healthy and to enjoy running again. I want to get a little more specific fro 2012.
- Break 1:55 in a half marathon. Sara and I will do this on May 5. We will do it together. We will rock it and then have our beers at the finish line.
- Run 1000 miles. I had this goal in 2010, but when you don’t run for 4 months this doesn’t happen.
- Run lots of these miles with Sara. She is an amazing running buddy. I bet we can knock out several hundred together.
- Set a PR in a distance other than the half. I would like to PR in the 10 miler and 5K.
- Have fun doing all of this. This won’t be hard. I have all kinds of fun adventures planned already. My 2012 race calendar is filling up quickly.
Comments : 3 Comments »
Tags: Half Marathon, PR, Racing, Running Goals
Categories : races, running
It was easy to pick an A Race when I was training for a marathon or my first half marathon. I don’t know how to do it anymore. I pick some races because I like the course or I want to run in a certain location, but how do I determine which one I am really aiming for? How do I decide when is the time to go for my top goals?
I know I can’t PR every race. I know I have to work on speed and endurance to get to where I want to be.
I don’t know how I went from running my first half marathon in 2009 to now. A half marathon was such a big deal. I think I have let it become not enough of a big deal. Running 13.1 miles is still an accomplishment. I still need to train for it.
I raced too much this fall. I have been fighting my body. I want to race smarter next year. I already decided there will be no marathon in 2012 so that won’t be my A race. I still want to break 1:55 in the half marathon. And I am so damn close it just makes me mad.
How do you choose an A Race?
Is it location?
Is it the course?
Is it time of year?
I am willing to listen to any and all ideas here.