I am beyond sick and tired of hearing people call exercise crazy. No, you sitting on your ass day after day, that is crazy. Exercise, whether it be 20 minutes on the elliptical machine or training for a marathon is not crazy. It might be out of your comfort zone, but don’t call everyone crazy for exercising.
My manager possibly thinks I am insane every time running even comes up. I was at a wedding recently and the groom’s sister stared at me blankly when I said I went for a bike ride with my mom earlier that day. It was an awesome morning.
I used to think the idea of running a marathon was crazy, not the people who ran them, the thought of me running one. Yes, distance runners are all a little crazy, but not because we run. I like to call it the good crazy, but you know what? We test the limits of our bodies. We work towards goals. We train hard to achieve what we might have considered unachievable before. I guarantee if you asked people I went to high school with not a single one would expect me to have run a marathon, but I did.
Also, stupid questions do exist:
- How far is this marathon? They are all one distance. How far is a marathon? Not stupid. I respect that people may not know the distance.
- OMG, why do you run/bike/exercise? So I stay healthy. It feels good. It is good for your body and life longevity. A sedentary lifestyle is not good for you. Don’t ask it like you have ever in your life met someone who exercises. It isn’t that uncommon.
- Isn’t running bad for you knees? No, bad form, bad shoes, over-training, oh and that skiing accident when I was 11 was bad for my knee. I haven’t had knee problems in years. They were all years before I was a distance runner.
Stop judging people for wanting to live a healthy lifestyle.
Now I have a few questions:
- Do you know how much fun I have running and biking with friends and family? It’s awesome. These are fun communities to be a part of.
- How do you just ignore all the data that tells you exercise is good for you? It has been studied. This isn’t new news. Talk to your doctor. Read newspapers. Somehow people still get funding for studies that tell us exercise it good for you.
- Why don’t you call people who play soccer or kickball crazy? Because it is usually a bar league? Guess what, a lot of runners drink beer too.
PS. I totally embrace the crazy.